Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I tried to think of a clever title but I couldn't, but I'll keep trying


Last week my Dad and I drove down to St. Louis for a college visit. A couple nights before that I drove 5 people to Sonic and when I was entering onto I-88 the toll light did not flash "thank you." I had forgot about it until we were in the car together and so I told him what happened. He then realized that he had forgotten to change the credit card number on her ipass after she had switched credit cards recently. While we were in the car driving, we could do nothing about it so my Dad called my mom and asked if she could go online and pay the missed toll and change the credit card number. Unexpectedly, a mini-argument ensued because my Mom didn't want to do it because she didn't really know how. My Dad thought this was silly, as did I for the record, but he eventually conceded and decided to do it on his laptop in the hotel. It wasn't this whole incident that got me thinking but a comment my Dad made after the phone call. To some extent (NOT a direct quote) he said, "Sometimes she has to do things that are outside of her comfort zones." Right after I heard this, a little lightbulb lit up in my head. AHA! It makes so much sense. So many things in life require us to step out of our comfort zone. Loving others. Forgiveness. Adventure. Having Courage. Ignoring Temptation. Following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ. Sometimes just having plain old fun requires us to step outside of our comfort zones. For example, one time I was sitting in a dentist's chair getting a root canal and I sure wasn't comfortable but I was having...so...much...fun? Maybe thats not the best example. I'm not trying to say that we should live our whole lives in discomfort because it is for the greater good, not at all. But what I am saying is that we shouldn't strive to live a life of comfort. That should not be our goal. I know for myself, this can be very hard at times. very hard. very hard. I'm gonna say that one more time: very hard at times. But I know that when I do step outside of my comfort zone, I can almost always look back and see the benefits that it had.

2 comments:

  1. What What! Nice title.
    This was great.I liked the root canal example. Thanks for the great reminder that we should be living outside our comfort zones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! It's good to always be expanding our horizons and getting "comfortable" with the "uncomfortable." I think God calls us to this!

    ReplyDelete